Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tamagotchi and Furby will Rule the World!!

I was watching "Modern Marvels: 90s Tech" on the History Channel and they mentioned some technology things I thought were really funny.

When Tamagotchis came out in 1996, they had more power in their little computer chip than the 1981 Osborne 1 portable computer. I use the word "portable" lightly. That thing's the size of my school backpack.



My Tamagotchi, I think it's a second generation Connection, so I bet this one has at least three times the power of the Osborne 1.

Here's the best one:
Did you know that the gorvernment thought Furbies were a threat to National Security?

When you get a Furby, it starts out talking in a gibberish Furby language, but the more you play with it, the more English it learns. It has English words stored on its chip that are brought out in increments over time, but when it came out in 1998, people didn't know that. They thought it was repeating words it heard like a parrot, so on January of 1999, Furbies were banned in all government buildings for fear that they would repeat some government secrets.

!!!

That's hilarious! I had a Furby when I was probably 6, but I had to read the Furbish to English dictionary to understand it. I was in Kindergarten, so reading was hard for me. I don't know where my Furby is now. I know he broke, but I don't know what happened.

These aren't mine, I just thought I should provide an example of what Furbies do.



The first generation are soo much cuter than the second. I think the middle is a first generation.

My Burger King Furby from 2005, so it's not even 90s.

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH FURBIES!!!!
    I don't think I had one but I know my best friend had like 10 and we would play with them all the time and then kick them because they wouldn't shut up.
    I had a Tamagachi though...I was like 6 and I couldn't figure out how in the world to work it. My dad bought it for me on the way home from Disney world so I could play with it in the car.
    If you gave one to me now I probably still wouldn't know how to work it!!

    ReplyDelete