Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Between 12 last night and 12 this morning...

I was talking to my friend on the phone about school. She knows this girl from my newspaper class through dance (who's like newspaper's golden sophomore. The editors all love her partly because she's a good writer, but also because her sister was the former editor-in-chief.)

Anyway, Lisa says "You know, the school she talks about and the school you talk about sound like two completely different places." In a lot of ways, they are.
I said, "Well, we hang out with totally different people."
Lisa said that the girl from newspaper talks about all this high school drama, gossip, who's manipulating whom, and I never mention any of that.
I said, "Like I said, I don't really live in that world." It's funny how we can go to the same school and have such a different perspective on it.

The girl from newspaper is actually a cool person. She was my roommate at newspaper camp, and I knew the kind of people she hung around with, so I stereotyped her. She surprised me. One of those Nick Jr. lessons: If you judge people, you run the risk of feeling really, really stupid when you're wrong.

Another thing I feel like talking about. If you don't want to know the ending to My Best Friend's Wedding, don't read this.

I watched the last 40 minutes of that movie this morning. It stars Julia Roberts, Dermot Mulroney <3, and Cameron Diaz, and it's pretty much the same concept as Made of Honor but opposite. Julia Roberts is in love with her best friend, but he's getting married to Cameron Diaz and she's the maid of honor. She tries to break them up and actually fails!

If it would have ended the expected cliche way where he leaves Cameron at the alter for Julia yada yada yada happily ever after, it would have been too predictable, but the ending was like...what? She tells him she loves him, they kiss, the fiancee sees them and runs away, he chases her, and Julia decided that she will never have him and should get over it. In the end, she makes a toast at their wedding, he gives her a hug and leaves with his wife. She gets together with this other guy who I guess was a friend (didn't see the whole movie) and has sort of a different happilt ever after.

Interesting ending because they made it seem like Cameron Diaz was a background character that didn't really matter, so I didn't expect her to "win." I guess they wanted it to be a surprise. I don't know...they didn't show that Julia stayed friends with him or that it was all okay in the end. At the end, she said something like, "I'm doing something I should have done a long time ago. I'm saying goodbye." I guess it was a happy ending because she could finally stop pining for him after nine years knowing how he feels, and she can be happy for him. I wasn't prepared for that one.

Good screenwriting on their part. If the movie had the expected ending, I wouldn't still be talking about it now. I would have been like "that's cute" and forget about it five minutes later. It got me to spend 20 minutes typing it into my blog, too. Geniuses. I fell into the trap. ^_^"

Thanksgiving this week!!
Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment