Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Anny!

I got to be 12 years old again this weekend, and I forgot how fun that is.

My sister had a sleepover party for her 12th birthday on Friday and I got to hang out with her friends. Remember when wearing make-up was fun instead of a chore and when you could just be random and crazy (like breaking out into a perfectly synchronized rendition of the funky hat song when you see someone in a hat) without being called immature?

Sometimes I think I like hanging out with my sister's friends more than my own. 16-year-olds are just...if you've ever seen The Breakfast Club (best movie ever), remember when the girl says "When you grow up, your heart dies?" You lose something in the teen years. I don't know if it's imagination, compassion, or just blissful ignorance, but my sister and her friends remind me that I don't have to be so cynical. There are people physically living in the same world as me but are mentally in an omnipresent Disney World. What's stopping me from living in their world?

My friends and I were like that when we were 12. Actually, I had that kind of psychological Disney World until high school. Childhood was basically over, and everything got serious. I hate birthdays because I'm afraid the older I get, the harder it'll be to remember my childhood. I am so happy for my sister--these are the memories that will keep her from getting too serious and letting her heart die like most do. I'm going to be a mess watching my children grow up. It's like a tug-of-war with time, but I can't grab the rope.

A few more things to address.

Gatorade changed their name to G...that's not a name, that's a letter. I'm not going up to the guy at 7-11 and asking if they have any G. Sorry, I'm not too lazy to say Gatorade.

Have you seen the PETA vegetarian commercial that was banned from the superbowl? Not posting that, but holy croutons. They can't put that on TV.

Here's an SNL skit I really like. Makes me laugh every time. Kristin Wiig has really good comedic timing.



Happy superbowl! It just reminded me when I heard my dad and grandpa yelling at the TV from the other room.

Love,
Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment