Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wake me up when September ends

BORED OUT OF MY MIND. I wasn't bored all summer. One day at school, and I feel like my breathing is as slow as the clock's minute hand. 11th grade is like the school version of a management position at a data processing company. Sure, you have authority over those less experienced than you, but you're still processing data and you just have more work than they do.

High school juniors...Your books have no pictures or color, you're thrown a list of upcoming orals and exams the day you get there, and you sit in dreary, sparsely decorated rooms packed with 35 teenagers for an hour and 41 minutes listening to teachers drone about the school rules and class expectations.

Biology was the worst. It was my last class of the day, and my teacher is dry like toast. He's very strict, he told us he's "strictly business," and he has a lot of rules. He's not very warm, and he doesn't smile very much. He seems like a good teacher, but I was disappointed. I was hoping for a fun Biology teacher, and it's clear Biology isn't going to be much fun this year.

We're not allowed to talk in his class. The room is dark, warm, and quiet. His voice is low and soft. I was so close to falling asleep on top of my class expectations packet. At least it's not Chemistry. Always a silver lining. Any teacher in Biology is better than a year of advanced Chem. (Let's see if I still think that by November.)

I'm going to read about the properties of water in my depressing, colorless Bio book and be happy I'm not calculating the percent mass of anything. I hope my classes tomorrow will be a little happier. I'm going to make the best of this year no matter what because you only get to do high school once.

Love,
Juliana

1 comment:

  1. Seriously make the best of it!! I can't tell you how much I wish I could sort of go back to high school. I just now realized that I'm leaving Palm Beach County tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. Yeah, things hit me a little late...
    Have fun in hs and maybe the teacher is just putting on a stern act so that the kids will respect him and not try anything with him..you never know!

    ReplyDelete