Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

Danny Boy

Does it mean I've overly emotional if the song "Danny Boy" makes me kind of teary?

"I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be
For you will bend and tell me that you love me
And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me."

One guy at the senior center sings this all the time. It's his favorite song. He sings a bunch of old songs, and I love listening to the lyrics. Old songs are amazing because they actually say something. They're poetic. You don't see that much in modern music. That's why I like Taylor Swift. Her lyrics are powerful.

Here's another sad song that I love, not as old or poetic as "Danny Boy," though, and definitely not as sad: "Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri-Las, circa 1960s. (I was going to do "Teen Angel" but I like this one better.)



This video's like a jackpot for me. I'm happy I found it. It looks silly acted out. It's really sad when you hear it by itself. It's like the Notebook, but instead of the two reuniting ten years later, Noah dies in a tragic accident. I would have been so upset if Noah died.

Love,
Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment