Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

THERE IS A NICKELODEON TIME CAPSULE!?!

If you know me, you know where I'm going with this. 90's nostalgia that I didn't know about? What?


((travel.webshots.com))

Evidently in 1992, shortly after Nick Studios came to Universal Studios in Orlando, FL, Nickelodeon had a big time capsule ceremony where their viewers took a vote for the most important items to kids at the time and they buried those items in a time capsule at the site. Some of the things they buried were a new gameboy, a copy of Nick Magazine, clips of commercials from that year, a Home Alone VHS tape, slap bracelets, and "other toys" (every site I read keeps saying "other toys"). It's supposed to be opened on April 30, 2042, exactly 50 years after it was buried.

THAT IS AWESOME!

The only thing is that Nick Studios closed in 2005. I was devastated since I loved Nick Studios, I went there several times when I was little and I loved the slime machine out front. My cousin got slimed there once and she, my aunt, uncle, and other cousin were on one of those game shows there (Double Dare? I was too young to remember). Cool place, the reason I loved Universal Studios so much.


((mousebuzz.com))

Anyway...it closed, and they decided to move the time capsule to the Nick Hotel. I hope they remember it when the hotel closes, too. It would have been cool if the time capsule would have remained in the same spot it was originally buried so it could have been, you know, undisturbed for 50 years, but I'm glad they at least moved it and didn't cover it with concrete to be lost forever.

Here's a phrase to fit with the 90's theme: I'm psyched about this. Even though I was -6 months old when it was buried and didn't know about it until today, I am obsessed with 90's nostalgia stuff, and I know a lot about classic Nickelodeon. It's cool to see how trends change and what kids of the past liked compared to today and what kids will like in the future. I love stuff like that.


((tutorgig.com))

I want to take my kids to uncover the time capsule. Sadly, in 2042 I will be almost 50, and my kids will probably (hopefully) be too old to be considered "kids" but not old enough to have kids of their own. I'll take my sister's kids. I hope people don't forget about it.

Love,
Juliana

9 comments:

  1. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just stumbled across your blog when I was looking for info on the Nick Time Capsule (since I lived it, I LOVE 80's and 90's nostalgia). I was one of the kids at the time (I was 10) who remembers voting for our most important items. I too find it sad that it has been removed, I loved going to Nick Studios when I was a kid. But it will be awesome that in 2042, there will be a NEW original Gameboy somewhere in the world! WEIRD!

    -Courtney
    www.greendayauthority.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 12 years old when this capsule was buried. I remember voting on the contents and watching the live event. They should have just left it where it was, as a permanent landmark at Universal. I wonder if it's new burial place is even marked or viewable to visitors? There's no mention of it on the hotel's website that I could find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Nickelodeon's past shows like Rocket power, Rugrats, The wild thornberry's, Hey Arnold, Invader Zim and so much more. But it is sad that they closed Universal studios. I didn't know they created a time capsule until I read your blog. I too was born in 1992 and sadly only got to see universal only once before it was torn down. I wish everything would go back to the way it was. Anyways good luck with your blog, I found it to be very interesting. I also can't wait to see when they open the capsule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks =]
    I just realized that my blog comes up in a google search. Cool~

    ReplyDelete
  6. i cant wait to the Nickelodeon Time Capsule. when i have a kids to show to them the Nickelodeon Time Capsule!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wen i have a kids i will show them the Nickelodeon Time Capsule. i cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! They should open it next year!!! For the 20th annaversery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not mentioned on the hotel website because the nick's current target audience was born around the time it was moved and wouldn't show interest in it. I happen to work night audit for nick hotel and I see this capsule on a daily basis, it reminds me that nickelodeon will not forget about us.

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4543138527_a6c9b14713_b.jpg

    ReplyDelete