Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Pay attention in History!!

Today I actually heard someone say out loud "I don't care about world religions." Unfortunately, most of my demographic probably thinks that, too, which is really, really sad.

If you don't want to hear me rant, go ahead and skip to the video at the end. I wouldn't want to hear me rant, either.

Okay, I just got back from Confirmation class at my Church. Yeah, I know, fun stuff. To put this story in perspective, I'm in a class of about 15. Of that 15, 10 of them are from that school that you all know I love (ya know, blue and orange, perfectly straight hair, iPhones, Coach shoes...). Today we were put in groups to discuss world religions. My group got Islam. In this group of six, I was the only one not from that school. Here's how the incredibly productive discussion went:

Our teacher had given us a paper with the basic characteristics of Islam on it (Allah, Mecca, Muhammad). 9th graders should already know all of that, but they didn't know any of it. I mentioned the word "Mosque" and everyone looked at me like I was speaking German (actually, I guess I was speaking Arabic). Our counsellor made them listen to me, but they told me they didn't have enough room left on the paper. That's because they took up the whole paper with a picture of a moon!! One girl started complaining about how she can't text message because she left her phone at home. Another started talking about her modelling job. Of all of those girls, their shorts couldn't have been shorter and they couldn't have acted more vacuous. Then while we were presenting it, this girl says "During Ramadan, Muslims feast from sun up to sun down." Someone corrected her mistaking "feast" with "fast," and she said "whatever, I don't care." Uh huh...I felt smart.

The one thing I hate more than superficial teenagers is indifferent ones.

To leave you with a happy thought for the day after reading my rant, here's the grown-up "Mikey likes it" commercial. If you've never seen the original "Mikey likes it," you won't get this, so go watch that one first on my retro blog. I kind of wanted to post this to bookmark it more than anything. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment