Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Waiting for Godot and Equus

Ever heard of the play Equus? It's twisted. Maybe that's just my opinion, a lot of people in my English class actually like it, but I think it's really strange. Not like 1984 strange, either, but like a 17 year old kid whose religion is getting off on horses kind of strange. I don't mind reading it so much just because it's so weird and different that I want to know where it goes, but I don't like it very much. I like things that make me think but not things that make me think about relating horses with orgasms.

We just got done reading a book that I really liked. It's called Waiting for Godot. Most people in my class didn't like this one. My teacher asked how many of us thought it was a brilliant play and only about four people out of 31 raised their hands, including me. It's about these two seemingly homeless guys in post-WWII Europe who do nothing day aafter day but wait for this guy named Godot who never shows up.

I liked it because it left almost everything open to interpretation. Samuel Beckett who wrote it didn't explicitly state anything about the characters or the setting, and we don't know who Godot is or exactly why they want him. The whole thing is an allegory and the meaning of life is a central theme. I really liked it. I did a big oral presentation on it on Monday. It had to be at least 10 minutes long and is one of the most important projects I will do for English all year.

On a kind of unrelated topic, I'm watching "Monk" right now and this episode isn't good. I love the show, but even the murder in this episode is really weak.

Happy Halloween tomorrow! I can believe it's here already. I don't feel like I celebrated it enough.

Love,
Juliana

2 comments:

  1. I liked Godot better than I like Equus, too.

    YOU ARE GOING TO CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN AND YOU ARE GOING TO LIKE IT!! >|

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha today we are definitely going to. I just can't believe the actual day is here. I love that it's on a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete