Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm too happy to be a writer

I'm not a good fiction writer, even though I would like to be. I write stories for fun and I tried to write a book, but I'm just not a good fiction writer. I'm afraid to add conflict to my stories or make any characters experience anything terrible. I used to think it was for lack of imagination, but that isn't the whole truth. Fiction writing is art and like really good art, really good writing needs raw human emotion. It needs blood and tears. Turning painful emotions into art is often the best there is, but once you're happy again, you have to summon painful feelings over and over to continue your work. It's like you're painting with blood and you have to cut your hand open again every time it heals. I'm not willing to conjure painful emotions for the sake of art, so I will never succeed as a writer.

Love,
Juliana

2 comments:

  1. This is weird because I was just thinking the other day that it would be cool to start a story with the character already in whatvever bad situation they're in, or in the aftermath, and then just work on building them from there. (It'd be a true happy ending!)

    Or like a Waiting for Godot type thing XD Dat's coo'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then we're opposite in our writing because my stories are always depressing XD It's like those are the only stories I know how to write or something XD

    ReplyDelete