Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2007

High School Musical

If you know me, you know how much I hated High School Musical. I don't think I need to explain it--you've all heard the rant before. However, on the night of the premeire of the big #2, I was babysitting my little sister, and I promised to watch it with her. Guess what? I actually liked this one! *gasp*

Now, I'm sure my judgement was impeded when Zac Efron took his shirt off--I gained a new respect for his character. ;) :D But regardless of that, I started to see the value of High School Musical--its weightless. There's just enough drama to keep people entertained, but not enough to prompt the conservative parents to write letters to Disney. It's cute--instead of "light reading," it's "light viewing."



I used to hate that it was unrealistic. I shows kids this picture of an ideal high school with trivial problems that work themselves out in the end. Yeah, right. But, now that I am actually in high school myself, that utopian version of one doesn't seem so stupid. Its definitely nicer than a real high school. If you want a maple syrup coated story to make you feel good about the world, this is it.

I have to say HSM2 was awesome. They did a really good job with it, and I would actually watch it a second time. *gasp* again. I downloaded the music to make a CD for my sister, but I actually listen to it myself. It drains out a little bit of my famous Juliana cynicism that you've all grown to love. XD

I'm not about to rush out and buy an "I heart Troy" T-shirt, but I've grown to appreciate what High School Musical stands for. Love, happiness, and making dreams come true--we could all use some of that in our lives, no matter how old we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment